Sunday, September 30, 2012

Flights of Fancy

After a week of driving through southern France, my creative juices don't seem to be flowing tremendously well. So, even though I'm bursting at the seams with good photos and awesome stories, I'm going to have to confine my followers to a small taste of this week's adventures! On Friday night, we stayed inside the 1000+ year-old city of Carcassonne--one of the rare, fully intact medieval cities in western Europe. In a merely 100-year-old hotel nestled against an ancient cathedral, we spent a lovely evening in very comfortable accommodations--I think that after a week of staying in modest hotels, no expense was spared for our weekend! I think I'll let the pictures do some talking just to underscore that last point...
My fancy room
And my fancy castle chocolates and mineral water

The fancy view from my window









And the fancy view from the other window



The fancy stone staircase to our hotel wing
And the fancy wooden staircases leading to the lobby
And the fancy lobby itself!
In case you didn't notice, there was a bit of fanciness going around! Of course, just being in the city itself lead to some "fancy" of a different sort. After spending nearly an hour in a medieval weapons store (what do you expect from three boys?), we went to a place where I nearly lost my mind and bought ridiculously expensive things. What, you may ask, could possibly possess me to loosen my typically tight purse strings? Well...how about some quill pens, wax seals, and handmade journals?! Or a silly dress that I'd never wear...


Seriously...the things we do when we're wandering within castle walls... You just never know when the fancy will seize you next! Well, my friends and loyal followers, until next time! (And yes, there will be food.)

4 comments:

  1. I love reading about your adventures! What an experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I feel like I should explain that I did not, in fact, buy any of those ridiculously expensive things! Just in case anyone wondered...

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was wondering. Although the dress could have been useful for Halloween and/or school plays. That town is gorgeous! The views out of your hotel windows look absolutely amazing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was seriously tempted to climb out my window onto the roof--there wasn't a screen, only some bars arranged with 1.5 foot square gaps. I totally could have done it. But then I decided I'd better not risk slipping and falling. :)

      Delete